Images at bottom of page
The Tower of Loyd
The Tower of Loyd is an impressive landmark. The area round the
tower has been developed as a community park (The People's Park).
There are good facilities for children to play, have picnics and
generally run about.
On the outskirts of the town and clearly visible when approaching
from the North stands the "Tower of Loyd ". The tower
is roughly 100 feet high and has a lantern round the top, rather
like a lighthouse. It was built in the late 18th century by the
lst Earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. Why
such a thing exists is not so clear (inland lighthouse). There are
those who say that the tower was built so that the Headfort family
could sit in it and watch various country pursuits taking place.
Others say it was built to provide employment at a time of economic
hardship or is no more than a "folly".
The tower was used to view horse racing and the hunt in the nineteenth
The plaque reads: 'This pillar was designed by Henry Aaron Baker
Esq. architect was executed by Mr. Joseph Beck stone cutter Mr.
Owen Mc Cabe head mason Mr. Bartle Reilly overseer Anno 1791'.
St Kierans Well
The patron day at this well near Carnaross, Kells, is held on the
first Sunday of August. Legend is that the well was formed at St
Kieran's command. Several pools there have supposed healing powers.
It is likely that the well was a place of worship in pagan times.